Sunday, May 19, 2013

FINAL MASSING ON SITE

Final massing of my design and how it works. 

My Building begins with the concept of the runway idea right from the entrance in which a ramp  cuts  into my site from the corner of Van Dyke street and Barnell street, it then leads directly into the main entrance of the elevated building.


To a certain degree I wanted the ramp which leads into the main entrance to appear as if it was completely penetrating the building like an arrow and coming out as this long cantilevering runway.


As this theoretical idea of the fashion runway evolved, I wanted to make this initial concept literally piercing out and elongated just like an actual runway. I wanted to make my concept even stronger by making the cantilevering runway point towards Lady Liberty in Liberty Island, as she represents a fashion icon and one of the main attractions of New York City.


Fashion is all about gorgeous fabrics and beautiful colors and I wanted to also incorporate this idea of the fabric pieces encircling my building. So I had this idea of theses Ribbon like pieces floating freely yet wrapping my building at the same time like a saree with its seemingly never ending wraps. 


These ribbons I imagine are titanium pieces that reflects the colors of different fabrics, and not only are they decorative pieces behind my inspiration but they have some means of function. For example in some areas the ribbons exaggerate important spaces like the main entrance and in other areas they function as a canopy.



No comments:

Post a Comment